Power BI Weekly Issue 93: 19th January 2021
No official announcements to share with you this week. However, Darren Gosbell has highlighted the DAX Studio 2.14 Release, including various new options and settings and some new dialogue boxes to help those getting started with DAX (and DAX Studio). Chris Webb has also highlighted the New Option To Solve Problems With Power Query Not Loading All Data From An Excel Worksheet, which may help many of you that use Excel as a data source.
Elsewhere this week, Mimoune Djouallah has leveraged techniques describing how to achieve incremental refresh without a database, applying it to Parquet files stored in Azure Storage. Parv Chana has written about a nice trick (one which I've found extremely useful in the past) describing how to Hide Slicer Items using measures and visual level filters. Finally, Adam Saxton has refreshed the What is Power BI? video - one to keep bookmarked to share with those getting started with Power BI.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) writes about the New Option To Solve Problems With Power Query Not Loading All Data From An Excel Worksheet
- On myOnlineTraininghub, Philip Treacy (@OnlineTrainingH) describes the Table Statistics from Table.Profile in Power Query
- Laura Graham-Brown (@Laura_GB) discusses Power Query – AI Insights Error
- Imke Feldmann (@TheBIccountant) shares a few blogs: Your Oracle data import in Power BI and Power Query is slow, Clean up or harmonize mis- or differently spelled category data with Power Query and Extract only letters from a mixed string in Power Query and Power BI
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) explains how to Convert Epoch/ Unix time to datetime in Power Query in one step
- On the SQL Shack blog, Ben Richardson describes Importing data from SQL Server and MySQL
- Sam Fischer writes about Rounding datetimes to nearest minute or hour in Power Query
- On the MSSQLTips site, Kenneth A. Omorodion explains how to Create Azure DevOps Analytics Visuals with Power BI OData Queries
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- Darren Gosbell (@darrengosbell) highlights the DAX Studio 2.14 Release
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) explains How to write simple calculations in a Power BI streaming dataset and describes Writing calculations on a real-time streaming Power BI dataset using DAX measures
- Parker Stevens (@PowerBIElite) talks about Custom Date Period Selections in Power BI
- On the Business Intelligist blog, Business Intelligist (@bizintelligist) writes about Cumulative Discount or Commission Calculation (Power BI DAX Tutorial) and explains How to Calculate Revenue and Margin Using Price and Cost History Tables (Power BI DAX Tutorial)
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Rod Castor writes about Distinct Values in DAX
- On the Burningsuit blog, Alison Box delves into DAX Filter Context Explained
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) describes how to Switch between Current Period and YTD Calculation
- On the SQL Shack blog, Gauri Mahajan (@GauriMahajan12) describes Getting started with Azure Analysis Services
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) blogs about DAX Fridays 193: Why is DAX so difficult to learn?
- Mudassir Syed Rashid Ali answers Is Conditional Formatting Possible With Calculation Groups In Power BI?
- On the dev.to blog, Joleen Bothma (@joleenbothma) writes about My Most Used Power BI Functions of 2020
- On the Power BI Community blog, Dedmon Dai describes how to Dynamically Compare the Value of Two Periods
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Data Bear blog, Mariska Oosthuizen talks about Custom tooltips: Report tooltip pages in Power BI
- Parv Chana (@parvchana) shares a Simple Trick to Hide Slicer Items
- On the SQL Shack blog, Ben Richardson shows Conditional formatting and data colors in action
- On the RADACAD YouTube channel, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) shares the Power BI Helper Version 12 Jan 2021 Feature Summary
- Mike Allen (@MikeAinOz) writes Power BI Page Tooltips revisited
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) talks about Getting started with Power BI Paginated Reports (2021)
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- Mimoune Djouallah (@mim_djo) blogs about Power BI Incremental refresh Parquet files, without a Database.
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) explains how to Send Power Bi Reports as PDF or PPT format
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) explains How to refresh Excel files faster in Power BI
- Philipp Lenz (@lenz_philipp) discusses why Connection fails to Text Analysis from Power BI?
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) present Episode 176 - Power BI News in 2021
- The Knee-Deep in Tech team (@KneeDeepinTech) present Podcast episode 140
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) talks about What is Power BI? (2021) and covers the Power BI XMLA endpoint, End-to-End diagram, Dataflows and more… (Roundup | Jan 11, 2021)
- Adam Saxton and Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) present 🔴 Power BI tips from the Pros – LIVE (Jan 16, 2021) (Member Chat 2nd Half)
- Microsoft Power BI presents Power BI Dev Camp: Embedding Power BI reports using React.JS
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) writes Moderne Datenanalyse fürs Controlling mit Power BI [German]