Power BI Weekly Issue 90: 22nd December 2020
It's a festive time for many of you reading this newsletter, but whether or not you celebrate Christmas, the last week has certainly been a period of gift-giving from the Power BI team. You've probably heard that DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services is now in preview, which enables users to connect to existing Power BI/Analysis Services models in the cloud, and extend those with their own local models. This is a huge deal, as it bridges the gap between self-service and enterprise BI. Such a huge deal that Marco and Alberto from the SQLBI team have both written and spoken about it - it's worthwhile taking a look at their content here: New composite models in Power BI: A milestone in Business Intelligence.
That was just one of the many exciting announcements this week. Another particularly noteworthy announcement stemming from the rather exciting Power BI December 2020 Feature Summary was that of the Small Multiples visual which is now in preview - a long awaited feature that will undoubtedly simplify (and improve the performance of) many of your reports. We've also been told that the Anomaly detection capabilities are now supported in Power BI Mobile apps, allowing users to drill into the insights discovered by anomaly detection feature while scrolling thorough their mobile reports. Finally, there's a new Dataflows Power Automate Connector in public preview providing a no-code method to track the status of Dataflow refreshes, and take action on their outcome (like refresh a downstream dataset). Very cool.
This edition marks the last one of 2020 - I'll be taking a break over the holiday period here in the UK. For those that celebrating Christmas - have a wonderful festive period. Otherwise, many happy returns to everyone for the new year, and you'll hear from me again on the 5th January.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On myOnlineTraininghub, Philip Treacy (@OnlineTrainingH) blogs about Changing Data Source Location in Power Query
- On the Power BI community blog, Srishti Sharma describes the Quick steps for connecting to SharePoint using Power BI Desktop
- On LaDataWeb, Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) writes about Power Query - Best Practices in the query editor [Spanish]
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the Power BI blog, Jeroen ter Heerdt (@jeroenterheerdt) announces DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) writes about the New composite models in Power BI: A milestone in Business Intelligence
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) blogs about The Most Important Update to Power BI Desktop, Ever
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) explains how to Blend Power BI datasets with Excel files? INSANE AMAZING! with Tessa Hurr
- On the RADACAD YouTube channel, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) talks about DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services. What is it and why it is a big deal?
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Mike Carlo (@PowerBITips) writes that Power BI Direct Query Composite Models = Amazing
- Paul Turley (@paul_turley) writes about Composite Models Gen 2 and DirectQuery over Power BI Datasets
- Just Blindbæk (@justblindbaek) helps us Understand the queries behind Composite Models
- Soheil Bakhshi (@biinsightnz) describes Registering SQL Server Profiler as an External Tool in Power BI Desktop
- On the Power BI community blog, Sam Zha describes How to compare version numbers in DAX
- On the MSSQLTips site, Kenneth A. Omorodion writes about Dynamic Power BI Slicer Using DAX Logic
- Mark Walter (@markwaltercpa) describes Using TREATAS to improve profitability reporting
- On the Power BI Community blog, Rico Zhou describes How to Build A Waterfall Chart to Indicate the Value Comparison Between This Year and Last Year
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Power BI blog, Rien Hu announces Small Multiples (preview)
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) describes Using Small Multiples In Power BI To Improve Report Performance
- Parker Stevens (@PowerBIElite) describes Dynamic Categories in the Small Multiples Visual
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) talks about Small Multiples in Power BI
- On the Power BI blog, Maya Shenhav writes that Anomaly detection (preview) is now supported in Power BI Mobile apps
- Sam Fischer describes How to make Histograms in Power BI to answer business questions and writes Histograms Part 2: Improvising What If parameters when you can’t alter your your data model
- Mike Allen (@MikeAinOz) walks through Using Adaptive Cards for KPIs
- Daniel Marsh-Patrick (@the_d_mp) describes the State of (My) Visuals - Dec 2020
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Nikola Ilic (@DataMozart) explains how to Extend Power BI theme with an image
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) highlights Power BI Model Documenter v1.2.0
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Ben Sack announces Dataflows Power Automate Connector public preview
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) describes how to Automatically refresh dataset when dataflow refresh completes – now with 100% less code!
- Also on the Power BI blog, Nimrod Shalit describes how to Enhance deployment pipelines creation with Premium per user license
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) answers your Power BI Premium Per User Questions
- Andy Cutler (@MrAndyCutler) shares the Power BI Deployment Pipelines with Power BI Embedded Session Slides
- Also on the Power BI Community blog, Akshiita Srivastava writes about the Dataset refresh failure with 'The key didn't match any rows in the table'
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) explains how to Customize Publish Message in Power BI
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Jeroen ter Heerdt (@jeroenterheerdt) shares the Power BI December 2020 Feature Summary
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) shares Episode 172 - Take 2- Interview with Tessa Hurr & Jeroen ter Heerdt
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) shares the Last roundup of 2020 with some great Power BI updates! (Roundup | Dec 14, 2020)
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Nikola Ilic (@DataMozart) describes Power BI & Synapse Part 5—Conquering Cosmos DB
- On the CSG Pro blog, Chris Wagner talks about Power BI and NLG: How to Incorporate into your Power BI Report
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.