Power BI Weekly Issue 80: 13th October 2020
In the last week we've been reminded of the importance of having a diligent process in place when designing and building any tech solution, particularly when the solution involves working with sensitive data. If you're not aware of what I'm referring to, take a look at this article by the BBC here in the UK: Excel: Why using Microsoft's tool caused Covid-19 results to be lost, referring to Public Health England's defective solution for the Test and Trace programme designed to track down those that may have been in contact with someone who has later tested positive for COVID-19. Whilst Excel was the offending technology, it certainly can't be blamed - this issue should never have been encountered in the first place. My colleague James Broome has elaborated on all of this in his thought-provoking blog: The Public Health England Test and Trace Excel error could have been prevented by this one simple step. Do take a look at that.
Anyway, back to Power BI. The big news this week is the announcement of the improved MDX query performance in Power BI, whereby we now have the equivalent of DAX Fusion for MDX: MDX Fusion, which aims to reduce the number of Storage Engine queries to enhance performance. Great news for those of you using Excel to connect to and query your Power BI dataset. Elsewhere, Zainab Balogun has described How To Use Waterfall Charts In Power BI, and Alex J. Garcia has started a series about the "Power BI Centre of Excellence" concept, with the blog: Power BI Centre of Excellence, What and Why.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) provides A Function To Visualise Parallelism In Power Query Diagnostics Data
- On the Power BI community blog, Djordje Medakovic (@DjMedakovic) describes How to connect your data in Power BI to third party vendor
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) covers Power Query Merging on GUID Columns and explains how to Stop Using the Power BI Folder Connector
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) writes about DirectQuery and dataflows in Power BI
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) talks about Power Query (M) – Passing Parameters dynamically to a SQL Server Query
- Imke Feldmann (@TheBIccountant) explains how to Convert DateTime to ISO 8601 date and time strings in Power Query
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) describes how to Lookup values from the same table in Power Query
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Nikola Ilic (@DataMozart) writes about Direct Query in Power BI—What, When & Why?
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the Power BI blog, Kay Unkroth announces the improved MDX query performance in Power BI
- On the Power BI community blog, Kirthi Korukonda describes how to Fetch the count of products in a given date range
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) posts DAX Fridays Battle #187: RANKX vs TOPN
- On the RADACAD YouTube channel, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) describes how to Dynamically change the format of values in Power BI
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Nikola Ilic (@DataMozart) describes how to Override date filter in Power BI
- Paul Turley (@paul_turley) describes Doing Power BI the Right Way: 7. Validating data model results
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) writes DAX CALCULATE Function Explained
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) shares a few blogs: DAX Calculations Using Table Functions, DAX Measures In Power BI Using Measure Branching, Time Intelligence Functions In DAX, Creating Measure Groups – Power BI Best Practices and Calculations In Power BI Using Measure Branching
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Power BI community blog, Pragati discusses Drill-up Drill-down Capability Using Bookmarks in Power BI
- On the Forsight BI blog, Zainab Balogun explains How To Use Waterfall Charts In Power BI
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) wonders How do you conditionally highlight a bar in a Power BI Report?
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) explains how to Visualize Graph Data in Power BI
- Parker Stevens (@PowerBIElite) talks about Dynamic Axes and Legends! (Easy)
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) talks about Using the Maintain Layer Order Option to Lock in Visual/Object Selection Order
- Daniil Maslyuk (@DMaslyuk) writes about Card drill through in Power BI
- Leila Etaati (@leila_etaati) describes how to Create Map Style nested Chart
- Amit Chandak (@amitchandak78) writes Customer Retention Part 4:Customers to Retain- Segment in 4 quadrant based on Margin % and Discount
- On LaDataWeb, Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) writes Creando mensajes de aviso o alerta en informe [Spanish]
- Jarret Moore walks through Grouping Bookmarks by Report Page in Power BI
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the MSSQLTips site, John Miner (@JohnMiner3) talks about Managing Power BI Workspaces with PowerShell
- On the SQL Server Central blog, Kenneth A. Omorodion explains how to Improve Power BI Performance with Horizontal Filtering
- On the Power BI community blog, Srishti Sharma writes about Unable to connect to Power BI Service datasets from Power BI Desktop
- Also on the Power BI community blog, Nithya Mallapu discusses Connecting to an Azure Data Lake Gen 2 at a Power BI Workspace throws Access Denied Error
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- Mimoune Djouallah (@mim_djo) talks about Using Power BI with Azure Synapse Serverless, First Look
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) share Episode 162 - Power BI September 2020 Feature Summary and Episode 163 - Blame Excel
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) talks with Justyna Lucznik about AI in Power BI (English)
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) writes about Data Culture: Community champions and shares The best Power BI roadmap
- On the MSSQLTips site, Kenneth A. Omorodion describes Creating Azure DevOps Analytics metrics in Power BI using Pre-Built Analytics Views
- Alex J. Garcia (@SmartpowerB) writes Power BI Centre of Excellence, What and Why – Part 1 of PBI COE Series. and writes Building the Business Case for a Power BI Centre of Excellence – Part 2 of PBI COE Series.
- On the CSG Pro blog, Gregory Petrossian (@gregpetrossian) blogs about Power BI vs Tableau: Things to Consider If Youre Migrating
- Adam Saxton and Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) share 🔴 Power BI tips from the Pros – LIVE (Oct 10, 2020) (Member Chat 2nd Half)
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) describes how to Collaborate in Microsoft Teams with Power BI - Ignite 2020 Features
- Also on the Power BI community blog, DataZoe describes How did I format my DAX expression in a post?
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.