Power BI Weekly Issue 74: 1st September 2020
No announcements this week, other than the Sept 2020 release of Power BI Report Server has been delayed by a month so that the Power BI team can provide key functionality in October rather than having to wait until the new year. Otherwise, this week Matt Allington has written about the Dynamic Formatting of Switch Measures, Pragati11 has described how to Control the Number of Rows to Be Displayed in a Table Visual Using What-If Parameters, and Ben Gribaudo has shared an interesting video detailing How Power Query Thinks: Taking the Mystery Out of Streaming and Query Folding.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Ben Gribaudo (@bgribaudo) describes How Power Query Thinks: Taking the Mystery Out of Streaming and Query Folding (Video)
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) describes Optimising The Performance Of Power Query Merges In Power BI, Part 5: Cross Joins
- Soheil Bakhshi (@biinsightnz) writes Quick Tips, Power BI Desktop, Query Parameters, Part 4, Passing Power Query Parameter Values to SQL Server Stored Procedures
- On the Power BI community blog, Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) describes how to Decompress .zip Files and on LaDataWeb, describes how to Obtener datos de una “carpeta” de Sharepoint o OneDrive para empresa [Spanish]
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) describes how to Dynamically find header rows and promote them in Power Query
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Nick Mone describes Changing File Location Using A Query Parameter In Power BI
- Also on the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) describes how to Change Date Formats Using The Power Query Editor, explains how to Create A Lookup Table From Subtotals: Optimization In Power BI and writes about Simple Power BI Transformations For More Optimized Data
- Purna (Chandoo) Duggirala (@r1c1) shares a Power Query Tutorial – What is it, How to use, Full examples, Tips & Tricks
- Vivek Ranjan (@imvivran) writes about 3 Use Cases for Merge Queries: Power Query
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) describes how to Import Text/CSV using Examples in Power BI
- On the SQL Shack blog, Ben Richardson discusses Importing data from JSON files and Power BI Rest APIs into Power BI
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) writes about Dynamic Formatting of Switch Measures
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) talks about Using calculation groups to selectively replace measures in DAX expressions
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) explains how to REDUCE Power BI dataset size by 60% with ONE CHECKBOX???
- Darren Gosbell (@darrengosbell) writes about DAX Studio and Tabular Editor – better together and describes The best way to generate data driven Measures in Power BI using Tabular Editor
- On the RADACAD YouTube channel, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) covers DistinctCount in Power BI with Phil Seamark
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) shares DAX Fridays #183: Use blank() as date in some DAX functions?
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Nick Mone walks through Creating A Currency Conversion Table In Power BI
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) shares a bunch of content: Dynamically Showcase Segment Insights Across Your Entire Power BI Report, In-Depth Learning Around The Cumulative Total Pattern In DAX - Power BI Tips, How To Compare Time Related Insights Together With Difference Date Slicers, Retrive The Previous Value Taking Into Account All Weekends And Holidays - DAX Technique and Format Your DAX Formulas Using Our DAX Clean Up App - New Updates To Logic
- On the Power BI community blog, Amit Chandak (@amitchandak78) describes a Power BI Continuous Streak - With More Than a One-Day Break
- On the MSSQLTips site, Junaith Haja shares a Power BI Histogram Example using DAX
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) shares some FORMAT Function Tricks
- Also on the Enterprise DNA blog, Brian Julius walks through Creating A Calendar Table For Holidays In Power BI
- On the Forsight BI blog, Zainab Balogun provides A Step By Step Guide To Creating A Custom Calendar Table In Power BI (Part 2)
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Power BI community blog, Pragati describes Controlling Number of Rows to Be Displayed in a Table Visual Using What-If Parameters in Power BI
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) talks about Dynamic titles with multiple slicers or filters in Power BI
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes Creating Dynamic Date Column Headers in Table/Matrix Names in Power BI
- Belinda Allen (@MsBelindaAllen) shares a few posts: Using Synonyms in Power BI Q&A, Creating Suggested Questions in Power BI Q&A, Using Q&A to assist in User Adoption of Power BI and Setting Geographic Data Categories in Power BI Q&A
- On the MSSQLTips site, Kenneth A. Omorodion writes about Power BI RAG Icons Custom Conditional Formatting
- Parker Stevens (@PowerBIElite) talks about Power BI - Visual Pagination
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) explains How to Apply Font Alignment to Single Value Cards in Power BI with Alina Fisher
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) describes how to Show/Hide Multiple Data Values using TME AG Toggle Switch
- Prathy Kamasani (@pkamasani) discusses Power BI Buttons with animation
- Enterprise Dna talks about Page Turning Visualization Idea For Power BI - Impressive Dashboard Technique, blogs about Showcase Which Multi Selections Are Selected Within A Slicer - Useful Visual Technique, writes about 3 Visualization Tips You Can And Should Use In Your Power BI Reports and explains How To Change The Sort Of Visualizations Dynamically In Power BI
- Also on the Power BI community blog, Didier Terrien writes about Power BI Sidetools, a Free External Tool
- David Eldersveld (@dataveld) writes about What Power BI Fonts May Help Report Viewers with Dyslexia?
- Erik Svensen (@donsvensen) shares an External Tool – Open Power BI Report Builder – part 1
- Marcus Wegener (@PowerBIler) shares Hey Peter! Drillthroughseite in Power BI einrichten [German]
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the PowerPivotPro blog, Fred Kaffenberger (@freder1ck) explains How Do You Know Your Power BI Security Roles are Right?
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) explains How to get Office 365, Power BI, Power Apps and Flow for FREE!!
- Philipp Lenz (@lenz_philipp) explains how to Generate a Power BI Embed Token
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Christopher Finlan (@cmfinlan) shares an update on the Release update for Sept 2020 release of Power BI Report Server
- Also on the Power BI blog, Kelly Kaye (@MS_KellyKaye) explains how to Join us! Tuesday 1 September, 2020 at 11:00 AM – 12:00 noon PDT with Gil Raviv!
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) talks about Power BI Desktop, KPIs, Colors and more… (Roundup | Aug 24, 2020), discusses REPLAY Power BI tips from the Pros – LIVE w/ The BIFocal Show (Aug 29, 2020) (Member Chat 2nd Half) and covers Power BI in Excel updates and more… (Roundup | Aug 31, 2020)
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) shares a video: Power BI User Group Hamburg: Introduction to Tabular Editor (Alex Powers)
- The Knee-Deep in Tech team (@KneeDeepinTech) presents Podcast episode 129
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) posts From image to text OCR- Computer vision to Power BI in 15 minutes
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) writes that Sometimes culture is life or death, highlights the Webcast: Patterns for adopting dataflows in Power BI, and about Data Culture: Training for the Community of Practice, and shares videos on Data Culture: Motivation and Encouragement and Training for a Successful Data Culture
- Spencer Baucke (@JSBaucke) talks about Analyzing Tableau and Power BI: A Conversation with Vince Baumel
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) present Episode 158 - Catching up on the Power BI News
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email email@example.com.