Power BI Weekly Issue 71: 11th August 2020
A few interesting announcements this week. My particular favourite is the Multiple data lakes support for Power BI Dataflows which allows workspace admins to bring their own Azure Data Lake Store Gen2 account for their Dataflows storage, rather than having to use a single tenant-wide storage account. This is great for the extra separation of data for the more sensitive data out there. Another announcement (one for admins) is that you can now block classic workspace creation to ensure your organisation stays on the latest and greatest V2 workspaces. Finally, the Power BI Developer community August 2020 update has been shared, including new additions and changes to the REST API along with some Embedded capability improvements.
Elsewhere this week, Parker Stevens has described Soft Row-Level Security (Current User vs "Others"), Nikola Ilic has described How to reduce your Power BI model size by 90%, and Gaston Cruz has provided an Introduction to XMLA endpoints.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On the Power BI blog, Bhavik Merchant (@BhavikMerchant) announces the Power BI Dataflows: Multiple data lakes support
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) writes about Dataflows and API data sources
- Olivier Travers (@otravers) describes how to Use the Schema Tools in Microsoft Dataflows to Manipulate Columns
- On myOnlineTraininghub, Philip Treacy (@OnlineTrainingH) walks through Connecting to an OAuth API Like PayPal With Power Query
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) discusses Running totals by subcategory in Power Query
- Vivek Ranjan (@imvivran) shares BI Simplified Webinar #1: Date Transformations using Power Query, BI Simplified Webinar #1: Table Transformations (Unpivot & Pivot): Power Query and blogs about Columns from Example: Add Columns in Power Query by giving examples
- On the Excel Basement YouTube channel, Rahim Zulfiqar Ali (@rahimzulfiqar) explains how to Transform Data into Tabular Format - FORMULA or POWER QUERY? You Decide - HR Example
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Melissa de Korte talks about Converting A YYWWD Code Into A Date Value In Power BI
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Mike Carlo (@PowerBITips) says that Monkey Tools are AWESOME
- On the Power BI community blog, Pallavi Pandey explains How to Connect to Dynamics Navision Server From Power BI Desktop
- Marcus Wegener (@PowerBIler) shares Hey Peter! Beschreibung von Transformationsschritten in Power BI [German]
- Belinda Allen (@MsBelindaAllen) describes Adding the Last Refresh Date in Microsoft Power BI (Tiny Tip)
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) writes about The Pros And Cons Of Modelling Measures As A Dimension In Power BI
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) introduces Analyze in Excel for Power BI Desktop
- Also on the SQLBI site, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) shares Understanding LOOKUPVALUE
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) shares Part 2 – Filtering Out BLANKS in a MEDIANX Measure Using DAX Studio
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) explains how to REDUCE the number of measures with Calculation Groups In Power BI
- Also on the Towards Data Science blog, Nikola Ilic (@DataMozart) takes us Inside VertiPaq in Power BI—Compress for success and explains How to reduce your Power BI model size by 90%
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) explains How to solve sort order error: "We cannot sort the 'A' column by 'B'. You cant have more than ..." and shares DAX Fridays! #181: Can't covert text into dates using DAX? Here is why...
- On the RADACAD YouTube channel, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) covers Power BI Modeling Tip Snapshot Table or DAX Measures
- On the Power BI community blog, Amit Chandak (@amitchandak78) describes Decoding Direct Query in Power BI Part 3: Columns in Direct Query and Part 4: Complex Columns in DirectQuery
- Also on the Power BI community blog, Arunkumar Karingali writes about Custom Calculation Issue with Circular Dependency Fields
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) shares a number of blogs: Supply Chain Management Techniques In Power BI, When To Use TOPN In Power BI – A DAX Formula Review, Logistics Insights For Power BI – DAX And Data Modeling Overview, Showcasing Customer Insights Through Reports In Power BI, Inventory Management Reports To Show Trends In Sales and How To Create Unique Subtotals In Power BI Tables
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Jenna Eagleson (@JennaEagleson) discusses M vs. DAX and Measures vs. Calculated Columns
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) explains how to Calculate Break time between two consecutive Group by Rows in Power BI
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- Chris Hamill (@ChrisHamill17) blogs about Consolidating report elements for improved performance
- Belinda Allen (@MsBelindaAllen) describes Adding multiple Trend Lines in Power BI (Tiny Tip) and talks about Formatting the Matrix Visual Power BI
- Mike Allen (@MikeAinOz) shares Guidance for the PBITask Custom Visual v1.0.2
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) asks Is your Power BI visualization misleading?
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) highlights that Power BI Visuals now support Custom Formatting for measures using Calculation Groups!
- On the SQL Shack blog, Ben Richardson writes about Power BI Visuals: Working with Treemaps and Tables
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) explains How to Fix Objects and Visuals on the Top Layer When Layering Visuals in Power BI
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Lukasz Pawlowski (@lukasztweets) announces that you can now block classic workspace creation
- Gaston Cruz (@gastonfcruz) provides an Introduction to XMLA endpoints
- Nicky van Vroenhoven (@NickyvV) explains how to Refresh a Power BI Dataset with PowerShell and a Service Principal
- Parker Stevens (@PowerBIElite) covers Power BI - Soft Row-Level Security (Current User vs "Others")
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) talks about Publish to Web in Power BI – What's New – Updated User Interface with Placeholder Image
- On the MSSQLTips site, Kenneth A. Omorodion shares some Power BI Performance Optimization Tips - Part 1
- On the dev.to blog, Dabbling (@Dabbling14) describes how to Quick Start your Power BI Administration Learning with these Resources
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Alon Baram shares the Power BI Developer community August 2020 update
- Also on the Power BI blog, Sandy Rivas (@SandyRivas) shares the August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) talks about Power BI visuals, DAX Studio and more… (Roundup | August 3, 2020) and Adam Saxton and Patrick Leblanc share the REPLAY Power BI tips from the Pros – LIVE with Reid Havens (Aug 8, 2020)
- Spencer Baucke (@JSBaucke) shares Analyzing Tableau and Power BI: A Conversation with Barrett Studdard
- On the Power BI community blog, Ted Pattison (@TedPattison) tells us to Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp
- Mihály Kávási (@KavasiM) talks about Ways to provide support for adoption?
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.