Power BI Weekly Issue 7: 14th May 2019
We hope those who attended Microsoft //build had a fantastic time. Only a few updates this week: Nikhil Gaekwad has highlighted that there's now Report Commenting for Power BI Service and Mobile and has also provided a Power BI Service and Mobile April 2019 feature summary. Elsewhere, Arthi Ramasubramanian Iyer has told us that the On-premises data gateway May 2019 update is now available.
Also in this week's edition, John White has described Using Microsoft Graph Data Connect with Power BI Dataflows, Patrick Leblanc describes how to Build a custom KPI scorecard and Devin Knight and Erin Ostrowsky begin a new series covering Power BI Interview Questions.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, Analysis Services
- John White (@diverdown1964) describes Using Microsoft Graph Data Connect with Power BI Dataflows
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) present Episode 99 - Interview with Abram Jackson & Tyler Lenig
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) provides some Session resources: Power BI dataflows and Azure Data Lake integration
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) describes how to Move Your Shared Tables to Dataflow; Build a Consistent Table in Power BI
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) writes that Power Query Comes To Azure Data Factory With Wrangling Data Flows
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) writes about Top N & query folding to improve report building
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) describes Extracting All The M Code From A Power BI Dataset Using The DISCOVERMEXPRESSIONS DMV
Covering: Relationships, Calculated Columns, Calculated Measures, Calculated Tables, DAX
- Kasper de Jonge (@kjonge) describes how to Get the YTD of the same period last year
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) discusses Table and column references using DAX variables
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) talks about DAX – Calculating the difference between 2 selections on a Slicer
- Jason Baldessari (@JasonBaldessari) writes RANKX-apalooza Part 2: Within and Across Groups, With Filters, Etc…And Using Multiple Columns!
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) discusses the Basics of Modeling in Power BI: What is a Dimension Table and Why Say No to a Single Big Table?
- On the DB Best blog, DeNisha Malone (@thepowerbiqueen) describes how to Relate Tables Using Your Data Model — Episode 6
Report Design and Visualizations
Covering: Report layout and formatting, Mobile reports, Native & Custom visuals, R & Python integration, Visual interactions, Report Themes
- Patrick Leblanc (@patrickdba) describes how to Build a custom KPI scorecard
- Christopher Finlan (@cmfinlan) describes how to Use Outlook, Microsoft Flow and Paginated Reports to create Power BI Report and Dashboard E-Mail Subscriptions with PDF attachments
- Gil Raviv (@gilra) writes about the New Version: Custom Visuals Exploration Tool
Covering: Dashboards, Quick Insights, Q&A, Filters, Bookmarks, Drill-through
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Apps and App Workspaces, Template Apps, Datasets, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, REST APIs, PowerShell cmdlets, .NET SDK
- On the Power BI blog, Arthi Ramasubramanian Iyer highlights that the On-premises data gateway May 2019 update is now available
- On the Power BI community blog, timmac provides a [HOWTO] Export Office 365 Audit Logs with focus on Power BI using PowerShell
Covering: Public service announcements, Cross-topic feature summaries, Power BI Overviews, Upcoming webinars/events, Power BI Certifications
- On the Power BI blog, Nikhil Gaekwad (@NikhilGaekwad) announces Report Commenting for Power BI Service and Mobile and provides the Power BI Service and Mobile April 2019 feature summary
- Also on the Power BI blog, Charles Sterling (@chass) writes Where in the world is the Power BI World Tour next?
- Adam Saxton (@guyinacube) presents Power BI 101, Mobile, Grouping and more May 6, 2019
- Devin Knight (@knight_devin) discusses Power BI Interview Questions with Erin Ostrowsky – Volume 01 – Overview
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) writes about the Enterprise DNA Learning Summit – May 2019 [Event Announcement] and describes What You Will Learn During The Next Enterprise DNA Learning Summit – May 2019
- On the Powered Solutions blog, Miguel Escobar (@EscobarMiguel90) writes Pre-con Speaker for MBAS2K19 & Power BI DIAD in Panama
- Gil Raviv (@gilra) writes My Sessions at MBAS