Power BI Weekly Issue 66: 7th July 2020
Only one announcement this week, although it's nothing technical - ideas.powerbi.com is adding the support to use your organisational credentials (same credentials you use for Power BI in general) to log-in to the site. In fact, it's removing support for other identity providers (Google, Facebook etc), so you should ensure that you read that blog and perform the necessary steps to make sure you don't lose your historical activities. Otherwise, here's a few blogs to highlight this week: Carmel Eve has provided a quick tip around Updating the sort order of a column in Power BI avoiding circular references, Chandeep Chhabra has described how to Change Measures Using a Slicer in Power BI, and Annamarie Van Wyk has written about Changing colours using DAX and conditional formatting in Power BI.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Maxim Zelensky (@Hohlick) describes how to create a Power Query Connection to Excel PowerPivot Data Model
- Parker Stevens (@PowerBIElite) writes about Easy Looping in Power BI & Power Query
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) wonders Why Is Power BI Running My SQL Query Twice?
- On the Power BI community blog, lbendlin discusses Working with ZIP files in Power Query
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the endjin blog, Carmel Eve (@carmel_eve) writes a Quick tip – Updating the sort order of a column in Power BI avoiding circular references
- Also on the Power BI community blog, az38 covers PATHITEM vs Parsing. 2 ways to obtain an array element from a structured string with DAX
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) delves into Calculating Elapses Business Hours Using DAX Part 2
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) discusses Propagating DAX BLANK() Over Relationships
- On the BI Power blog, Didier Terrien discusses Translations life cycle management
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) describes how to Change Measures Using a Slicer in Power BI
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) writes about Calculate Cumulative Sum Running Total of Count in Power BI
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) describes DAX FRIDAYS #178 : My age calculations in DAX and Power Query are wrong!! How do I do it?
- On the Power BI community blog, Amit Chandak (@amitchandak78) shares a series of blog posts: Creating Financial Calendar - Decoding Date and Calendar 1-5, Any Weekday Week - Decoding Date and Calendar 2-5, Week That Resets Yearly - Decoding Date and Calendar 3-5, Travelling Across Workdays - Decoding Date and Calendar 4-5 and Date as Dateadd - Decoding Date and Calendar 5-5
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) shares a number of blogs: Calculating A Rolling Average In Power BI Using DAX, Why Using Power BI Variables Is A Better Way To Write DAX Measures, Using ALLEXCEPT To Stop The Cumulative Total From Resetting, Time Based Cohort Analysis – Setting Up Your Data Models In Power BI and Dynamic Grouping of Receivables In Power BI
- Vivek Ranjan (@imvivran) writes Say Hello to DAX, talks about Data Modeling with Power Pivot - Getting Started and writes about 5 Useful Features of Excel Pivot Tables
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Data Bear blog, Annamarie Van Wyk (@annamarie_wyk) describes Changing colours using DAX and conditional formatting in Power BI
- On the BlueGranite YouTube channel, Sawyer Nyquist discusses Interior Design Principles Applied to Microsoft Power BI Business Intelligence
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) writes about Conditional Drillthrough Navigation for Buttons in Power BI
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) talks about The ultimate button resource for Power BI by Tableau Zen Masters
- Matthew Peterson (@mattpetersonbi) wonders To Slice or to Bookmark? That is the question.
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) covers Creating Unique Power BI Report Template Designs and describes how to Show Cumulative Totals Unaffected By Date Slicer Selection In Power BI
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes How to configure Incremental Refresh with Power Query in Power BI
- On Le CFO Masqué, Kim Leblanc writes Comment configurer l’actualisation incrémentielle (Incremental Refresh) [French]
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) writes about What is Row-Level Security (RLS) in Power BI???
- Marcus Wegener (@PowerBIler) describes how to Archive Power BI Reports with Power Automate
- Avi Singh (@powerbipro) discusses Tips & Tricks of a Large Scale Power BI Implementation with Nicky van Vroenhoven
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) writes about Which Power BI Gateway? Personal or Enterprise (Standard) Mode - Check the Difference
- On the MSSQLTips site, Fikrat Azizov explains how to Terminate Long Running Azure Analysis Services Refresh Using Logic App - Part 4
- On the Power BI community blog, Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) describes how to Send a Power BI Alert Notification to Contacts in English, and in Spanish
- David Eldersveld (@dataveld) shares a Power BI Risk Assessment: External Tools, Connectors, and Community Visuals
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) writes about A False Sense of Data Security
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Mike Carlo (@PowerBITips) shares the recording of the Milwaukee Brew City PUG – June 2020
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- Also on the Power BI blog, Kelly Kaye (@MS_KellyKaye) writes that Ideas.PowerBI.com – Changes to use Azure Active Directory!
- On the Power BI blog, Kelly Kaye (@MS_KellyKaye) explains how to Join us Wednesday July 8, 2020 at 11:00 AM &8211 12:00 noon PDT with Reid Havens
- Wolfgang Strasser (@wstrasser) highlights the Power BI Change Log and Release Notes – One for the reference
- Paul Turley (@paul_turley) writes that I Am Done Using Visual Studio …for BI data model development