Power BI Weekly Issue 6: 7th May 2019
Only one announcement in this week's newsletter: Oracle and Teradata data source support and hourly e-mail subscriptions for Paginated Reports now available. Elsewhere, Kasper de Jonge has described How Power BI enables remote communities in Africa to track AIDS, Koen Verbeeck has explained how to Refresh Power BI Dataset using Azure Logic Apps - Part 2, and Chris Webb digs into the DAX Machine Learning Functionality Used By The Key Influencers Visual In Power BI.
Some of you may be at Build at the moment - if you are, we hope you're having a fantastic time. We'll have all the Power BI updates highlighted in next week's newslettter, so don't worry too much about keeping track of them.
Also, let me know if you're heading to the London Power BI user group meet-up tomorrow - I'll be attending and it'd be great to meet some of you. Chris Webb is providing an introduction to Dataflows in Power BI, which I'm sure will prove to be very useful.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors
- On the Power BI blog, Christopher Finlan (@cmfinlan) highlights the Oracle and Teradata data source support and hourly e-mail subscriptions for Paginated Reports now available
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) writes about Lists in Power Query – how, when and why
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) walks through Expanding Rows Using Power Query
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) describes how to Import Email Attachments Directly Into a Power BI Report using Power Query
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) describes how to Filter Data with Multiple Criteria using Power Query
- Imke Feldmann (@TheBIccountant) provides A new Table.ContainsAnywhere function for Power Query in Power BI and Excel
- Adam Saxton (@guyinacube) provides a Power BI Walkthrough: Analysis Services Live Connect
- On the Powered Solutions blog, Miguel Escobar (@EscobarMiguel90) writes Combine or Append Data: Optimal Combination Pattern
- Jeff Lenning (@Exceluniversity) writes Stop Wasting Time 3
Covering: Relationships, Calculated Columns, Calculated Measures, Calculated Tables, DAX
- On the Data Bear blog, Edward Van Der Merwe describes How to use the DAX RANKX function in Power BI
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) discusses Grouping in Power BI Desktop Without Using DAX
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) writes about Year-to-date filtering weekdays in DAX
- Eugene Meidinger (@sqlgene) blogs about the DAX Error: The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.
- On the DataAP blog, Hariharan Rajendran blogs about SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR in SSRS Report builder
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) writes about the DAX Machine Learning Functionality Used By The Key Influencers Visual In Power BI
- On the Visual BI blog, Jason Lacoff provides some Tips and Tricks to Building a Well-Structured Semantic Model in Power BI
- Paul Turley (@paul_turley) highlights the Advanced DAX Training from Marco Russo in Portland: June 2019
Report Design and Visualizations
Covering: Report layout and formatting, Mobile reports, Native & Custom visuals, R & Python integration, Visual interactions, Report Themes
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Seth Bauer (@Seth_C_Bauer) presents the New Layout – Square One
- Prathy Kamasani writes about Power BI Mobile Reporting
- Paul Turley (@paul_turley) provides a Getting Started with Power BI Report Design level 101 – What Every New User Should Know
- On the DB Best blog, DeNisha Malone (@thepowerbiqueen) posts Prepare Report Requirements — Episode 5
- Imke Feldmann (@TheBIccountant) writes about the Bug in Power BI R Scripts "package ... was installed with different internals"
Covering: Dashboards, Quick Insights, Q&A, Filters, Bookmarks, Drill-through
- Christopher Finlan (@cmfinlan) describes how to Use Outlook, Microsoft Flow and Paginated Reports to create Power BI Report and Dashboard E-Mail Subscriptions with PDF attachments
- Patrick Leblanc (@patrickdba) talks about Dynamic Titles in Power BI Desktop and talks about Cross-report Drillthrough in Power BI
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) writes about Dynamic object titles in Power BI
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Apps and App Workspaces, Template Apps, Datasets, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, REST APIs, PowerShell cmdlets, .NET SDK
- On the MSSQLTips site, Koen Verbeeck (@Ko_Ver) explains how to Refresh Power BI Dataset using Azure Logic Apps - Part 2
- Brett Powell (@BrettPowell76) talks about Power BI Artifacts Per Workspace
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) covers Power BI Premium Performance – Part 3 | How does a dataset refresh affect performance?
Covering: Public service announcements, Cross-topic feature summaries, Power BI Overviews, Upcoming webinars/events, Power BI Certifications
- Adam Saxton (@guyinacube) presents Power BI Admin, Gateways, Heatmaps and more April 29, 2019
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) present Episode 98 - Power BI News
- Brett Powell (@BrettPowell76) writes about Ten Power BI Ideas
- On the Power BI blog, Kasper de Jonge (@kjonge) describes How Power BI enables remote communities in Africa to track AIDS
- On the Power BI community blog, Amit_PowerBIPro describes How to create a support ticket in Power BI