Power BI Weekly Issue 42: 21st January 2020
Only a couple of announcements this week: there is now a new health center within the Premium Capacity Metrics app, useful for monitoring and identifying potential issues on your capacities. In Azure Analysis Services land, we've been told that Improved query replica synchronization in Azure Analysis Services is in preview, which improves performance and consistency in scale-out environments.
Elsewhere, Patrick Leblanc has answered the question: Is Query Folding happening in Power BI?, Sebastian Zolg has written about 68-95-99.7 - The Three-Sigma Rule of Thumb Used in Power BI., and Barrett Studdard has described an interesting way of Adding Start & End Labels in Power BI.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, Analysis Services
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) shares a number of blogs: Create Row Number for Each Group in Power BI using Power Query, Get the List of FOLDERS only in Power BI using Power Query, Age in Years Calculation that works for Leap Year in Power BI using Power Query, Age Calculation in Power BI using Power Query, All in One: Script to Create Date Dimension in Power BI using Power Query and Add or Edit Columns When Importing Data from Analysis Services into Power BI
- Ben Gribaudo (@bgribaudo) writes Power Query M Primer Part 15: Error Handling
- Erik Svensen (@donsvensen) highlights a Quick PowerQuery trick – Get duration days between two dates
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) talks about Is Query Folding happening in Power BI?
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) explains how to Get more info with Power Query tracing in Power BI Desktop
- On the Excelguru blog, Ken Puls (@kpuls) describes how to Unfill in Power Query
- Marcus Wegener (@PowerBIler) writes Datentyp ändern mit Gebietsschema [German]
- On the Powered Solutions blog, Miguel Escobar (@EscobarMiguel90) writes about Incremental refresh for files in a Folder or SharePoint
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) covers Embracing Automated Machine Learning (AutoML)
- Sebastian Zolg (@sebastianzolg) writes 68–95–99.7—The Three-Sigma Rule of Thumb Used in Power BI.
Covering: Relationships, Calculated Columns, Calculated Measures, Calculated Tables, DAX
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) asks What the heck is a MEASURE TABLE in Power BI???
- Erik Svensen (@donsvensen) shares A quicker way to set Summarize to none for all your fields in your date dimension or others
- The Azure updates team highlights that Improved query replica synchronization in Azure Analysis Services is in preview
- Kasper de Jonge (@kjonge) highlights 5 reasons to use aggregations in Power BI
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) posts a number of blogs: Iterating Functions In DAX Language – A Detailed Example, Find Your Top Clients Across Different Measures in Power BI, Multiple Currency Logic In Power BI – A LOOKUPVALUE Example, Multiple What If Parameters In Power BI, New vs Existing Customers – Advanced Analytics In Power BI, Managing Seasonality In Your Budget Analytics – Advanced Power BI and Running Sensitivity Analysis For Power BI Using DAX
- On the Kohera blog, Frederik Aerts (@fre_vs_alpha) describes How to create a Time Table in Power BI in a few simple steps
Report Design and Visualizations
Covering: Report layout and formatting, Mobile reports, Native & Custom visuals, R & Python integration, Visual interactions, Report Themes
Covering: Dashboards, Quick Insights, Q&A, Filters, Bookmarks, Drill-through
- On the Power BI community blog, Augustin de la Fouchardiere writes about Analyzing Market Caps of Any Listed Companies in Power BI
- On the MSSQLTips site, Ron L'Esteve writes about Real-Time Anomaly Detection Using Azure Stream Analytics
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Apps and App Workspaces, Template Apps, Datasets, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, REST APIs, PowerShell cmdlets, .NET SDK
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) describes how to Share Different Visual Pages with Different Security Groups in Power BI
- On the Power BI blog, Swati Gupta writes about the Premium Capacity Metrics app - new health center with KPIs to explore relevant metrics and steps to mitigate issues
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes How to find who has been allocated Power BI Licenses
- On the Powered Solutions blog, Miguel Escobar (@EscobarMiguel90) writes about the Power BI Event Activity Log API – Easy way to get it!
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) talks about Power BI Dataset Refresh Scheduling Using Outlook And Power Automate
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) explains how to Manage all your Power BI refreshes in one place with Power Automate (Flow)
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Steve Campbell explains how to Handle Errors in Data Refreshes with Power Automate
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) blogs about Power BI and ACLs in ADLSg2
Covering: Public service announcements, Cross-topic feature summaries, Power BI Overviews, Upcoming webinars/events, Power BI Certifications
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) present Episode 132 - Welcome Back
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) talks about Data culture: Executive sponsorship
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) talks about Taking Power BI Charts to the next level and more... (Roundup | January 13, 2020)
- On the Power BI blog, Will Thompson (@Will_MI77) tells us to Come to Microsoft Business Applications Summit this May
- Sebastian Zolg (@sebastianzolg) writes Are you living in a happy country? Let’s find out with Power BI.