Power BI Weekly Issue 32: 5th November 2019
It's Ignite week, and I've got to say - I'm envious of all those who have got to go this year. Sometime in the future, maybe! Whilst we've already been told about a few of the Power BI announcements from Ignite, I'll leave those until next week's issue so they're all together in one place. In the last week, we've been introduced to the incredibly powerful Power BI lineage view, and we've also been told about On-premises Data Gateway management by Region.
Elsewhere this week, Ruth Pozuelo Martinez has written a Halloween Story: 7 ways to kill your Power BI model, Miguel Escobar writes about a Step level error handling in Power BI / Power Query, and Ignacio Barrau describes Using the Power BI API Without Grant Permission From Admin [Python].
Make sure you read next week's issue to get caught up on all of the Ignite announcements!
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, Analysis Services
- Kolyu Minevski describes how to Maintain a simple database with Power Query
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) discusses Combining Multiple Sheets from Multiple Workbooks
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) provides a Power BIte: Creating dataflows with Power Query Online and blogs about Power BI and ADLSg2 – but not dataflows
- On the Powered Solutions blog, Miguel Escobar (@EscobarMiguel90) describes how to Step level error in Power BI / Power Query and explains how to Keep Select, Rename and Reorder your Columns with Power BI / Power Query
- Imke Feldmann (@TheBIccountant) provides a Performance tip for aggregations after joins in Power Query and Power BI
- On the Data Bear blog, Edward Van Der Merwe writes Data Preparation Part 3 – Merging and Appending Queries
- On the Azure blog, Michael Flanakin (@flanakin) highlights the Major refresh for the Power BI Azure Cost Management connector
Covering: Relationships, Calculated Columns, Calculated Measures, Calculated Tables, DAX
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) writes about the Power BI Report Builder And RSCustomDaxFilter
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) compares DAX calculated columns with Power Query computed columns
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) describes how to Quickly review your Power BI Data model with VertiPaq Analyzer and highlights some CRAZY keyboard shortcuts for DAX in Power BI Desktop
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@ruthpozuelo) tells a Halloween Story: 7 ways to kill your Power BI model
- Phil Seamark (@PhilSeamark) writes Creative Aggs Part IV : Filtered Aggs
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) writes about AAS (Azure Analysis Services) / SSAS Tabular -Using BISM Normalizer to NOT Overwrite existing Partitions
Report Design and Visualizations
Covering: Report layout and formatting, Mobile reports, Native & Custom visuals, R & Python integration, Visual interactions, Report Themes
- On the Power BI community blog, Michal Dvorak (@nolockcz) describes How To Discover Undocumented Theme Settings in Power BI Desktop
Covering: Dashboards, Quick Insights, Q&A, Filters, Bookmarks, Drill-through
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Apps and App Workspaces, Template Apps, Datasets, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, REST APIs, PowerShell cmdlets, .NET SDK
- On the Power BI blog, Yaron Canari (@YaronCanari) introduces Power BI lineage view
- Jen Stirrup (@jenstirrup) discusses Data Lineage and Power BI: Why is it important
- On the Power BI blog, Arthi Ramasubramanian Iyer (@ArthiRamasubra1) writes about On-premises Data Gateway management by Region
- On the Power BI community blog, Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) talks about [Python] Using the Power BI API Without Grant Permission From Admin
- Kasper de Jonge (@kjonge) explains how to Refresh a Power BI dataset that feeds from SharePoint list automatically
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Seth Bauer (@Seth_C_Bauer) covers Building a Gateway Cluster
Covering: Public service announcements, Cross-topic feature summaries, Power BI Overviews, Upcoming webinars/events, Power BI Certifications
- On the Power BI blog, Sandy Rivas (@SandyRivas) announces Our 2nd Kudopalooza Challenge and highlights the Live SNEAK PEEK of the November Desktop release and AMA with Amanda
- Also on the Power BI blog, Kelly Kaye writes From Newbies to Global Hackathon Winners – Power BI Brings User Skill Levels and Confidence Full Circle!
- Also on the Power BI blog, Matt Goswell (@SQLEvangelist) explains how to Learn about Power BI at Microsoft Ignite
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) covers AutoML in Power BI, DAX and Overlays... (Roundup | October 28, 2019)
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Mike Carlo (@PowerBITips) writes Act like the business, Think like I.T.
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) presents Episode 122 October News Round up