Power BI Weekly Issue 29: 15th October 2019
Last week was a bit of a whirlwind at endjin - somehow I managed to win the "Cloud Apprentice of the Year" award run by the Computing magazine here in the UK, and my colleague Carmel managed to win the "Apprentice Engineer of the Year" award. We're both extremely shocked and humbled. To celebrate, Carmel's about to embark on a three-week adventure to Everest base-camp. I, on the other hand, plan to stay warm, cosy and (for the most part) stationary at home.
Anyway, enough about us - it's been a relatively quiet week this week in the Power BI ecosystem. We've been told about the 2019 Power BI User Group Global Hackathon Champions (well done to Team Hydro-Québec of the Montreal Power BI User Group!), and over in Azure, we've been told that Azure Analysis Services QPU AutoScale is now available, a feature that can "achieve cost savings while ensuring adequate resource availability for an instance by automatically scaling tier up and down, as well as adding and removing query replicas, as workload requires". I'm sure that's music to some of your ears.
Elsewhere, Matthew Roche has provided a quick tip around Developing with large dataflows (don't try to load it all into Power BI Desktop!), and Kasper de Jonge has described how to Automatically rotate through Power BI report pages on your browser, using a nifty Chrome extension.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, Analysis Services
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) answers Why Does Power BI Query My Data Source More Than Once?
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) discusses Making data source parameters easy in Power BI Desktop and talks about Inside Power Query reference queries for Power BI and Excel with Chris Webb
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) provides a Quick Tip: Factoring your dataflow entities, writes another Quick Tip: Developing with large dataflows and discusses Power BI dataflows and query folding
- John White (@diverdown1964) talks about Fixing Power BI Report Builder Connection Errors
- Sandeep Pawar (@PawarBI) describes how to Unpivot Pairs Of Columns
Covering: Relationships, Calculated Columns, Calculated Measures, Calculated Tables, DAX
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) describes Using DataTable DAX Function for Creating Structured Table in Power BI and explains how to Calculate Duration in Days Hours Minutes and Seconds Dynamically in Power BI using DAX
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) posts a number of blogs: How To Harvest Power BI Slicer Selections To Use Within Other Measures, The DATEADD Function: The Best And Most Versatile Time Intelligence Function in Power BI, Compare Cumulative Information Over Different Months In Power BI, Using Multi-Layered Scenario Analysis in Power BI and Using Dynamic Visuals On Ranking Based Parameters In Power BI
- Phil Seamark (@PhilSeamark) writes about Row-based Time Intelligence
- The Azure updates team writes that Azure Analysis Services QPU AutoScale is now available
Report Design and Visualizations
Covering: Report layout and formatting, Mobile reports, Native & Custom visuals, R & Python integration, Visual interactions, Report Themes
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Mike Carlo (@PowerBITips) writes about the Filled Donut Chart, Yumm..
- On the Blue Granite blog, Lindsay Pinchot (@LindsayPinchot) provides a Power BI Showcase: Employee Retention Gets a Makeover with Built-in AI Visuals
- On the edureka blog, Komal writes All You Need to Know About Power BI Visuals
Covering: Dashboards, Quick Insights, Q&A, Filters, Bookmarks, Drill-through
- Kasper de Jonge (@kjonge) describes how to Automatically rotate through Power BI report pages on your browser
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Apps and App Workspaces, Template Apps, Datasets, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, REST APIs, PowerShell cmdlets, .NET SDK
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes Bulk Changing Permissions Read, Reshare & Build on Datasets
- Dustin Ryan (@SQLDusty) writes about Dynamic Column Level Security with Power BI and SSAS
- On the edureka blog, Komal describes How to Implement Row Level Security in Power BI
Covering: Public service announcements, Cross-topic feature summaries, Power BI Overviews, Upcoming webinars/events, Power BI Certifications
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) writes a Power BI Webinar Overflow Q&A
- On the Power BI blog, Kelly Kaye announces The 2019 Power BI User Group Global Hackathon Champions
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) sits down with the Power BI Queen