Power BI Weekly Issue 223: 5th September 2023
It's an abnormally short edition this week - there are almost as many links in this editorial than there are in the rest of the newsletter! Maybe everyone's still on vacation? Who knows. Anyway, the
Power BI Fabric team has still given us a couple of articles to sink our teeth into. The first of which is the subtle but huge announcement around the all new Shareable cloud connections, which allow you to support multiple connections to the same data source and share connections with other users, which in turn lower the overhead of maintaining data connections and credentials. In real terms, this means you can now avoid the "take over and reenter credentials" shenanigans when your colleague is on holiday, and you can also configure different credentials to the same cloud data source (instead of being tied to a single set that must be reused across all datasets that connect to that data source). Effectively, cloud data sources now work very much like enterprise data gateway data sources. Woohoo!
The other official article this week is around some Best Practices to prevent GetGroupsAsAdmin API timeout, describing the patterns related to
$filter to follow to try to avoid the queries timing out. Sticking to the API theme - Gerhard Brueckl has show how to Query the Power BI REST API using Fabric Spark SQL, which could be very useful if you have analytical requirements over your Power BI metadata. Finally, Teo Lachev has described Yet Another Currency Conversion Pattern to dynamically apply conversions to your monetary measures.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) talks about Data Wrangler VS. Power Query Editor – Microsoft Fabric
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) describes A quirky Bookmark scenario with Filters in Power BI. Pay Attention!
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Enterprise Dna Experts (@EnterpriseDNA) write about the Power BI Waterfall Chart: A Detailed User Guide
- Daniel Marsh-Patrick (@the_d_mp) mentions that Deneb 1.6 Ready for Alpha Testing
- Andrzej Leszkiewicz (@avatorl) presents IBCS-styled Column Chart in Power BI Matrix Visual | It's NOT a Custom Visual !!!
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Kay Unkroth (@MSPowerBI) writes about Streamlining cloud connection management for datasets, paginated reports, and other artifacts
- Also on the Power BI blog, Marina Fuster shares some Best Practices to prevent GetGroupsAsAdmin API timeout
- Gerhard Brueckl (@gbrueckl) discusses Querying Power BI REST API using Fabric Spark SQL
- Vahid Doustimajd (@VahidDoustiM) describes how to Automatically Refresh Power BI Visuals with new Browser Extension
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- Adam Saxton and Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) present 🔴 Microsoft Fabric/Power BI Q&A – LIVE (Sept 2, 2023)