Power BI Weekly Issue 217: 25th July 2023
This week we've been presented with one primary announcement, which is the Public Preview of automatic replica synchronization for Dataset Scale-Out, which means that copies of your dataset can be kept automatically in sync with one another rather than having to refresh the copies. They've also made the configuration easier to access - exposing it via the REST API rather than the XMLA endpoint. The other announcement this week is the formality of the On-premises data gateway July 2023 release - this includes a single net-new piece of functionality which is the added support for Lakehouse connectivity over the gateway. Other than the official Power BI content this week, Reid Havens has shared a useful video describing Configuring Fields with Perspectives for Shared Datasets in Power BI (quite an under-utilized feature in Power BI).
I wanted to point out a non Power BI-specific blog from my colleague James this week, but I urge you all to read it - it discusses the importance of using Architecture Decision Records to capture decisions made during projects. Usually these are technical decisions (like "Should I use dynamic or static RLS?" or "Should I use DirectQuery, Import or DirectLake mode?"), but not necessarily. The idea is that point-in-time decisions like this, if not captured, can seem arbitrary if reflected on in the future. Writing down the options, weighing things up, and sharing with your colleagues for discussion is critical for ensuring the decision being made is accepted by a consensus and generally has the most chance of succeeding. Anyway, do take a read - they provide a huge amount of value to us here at endjin.
Finally, we've published the final episode of our interview with Tom that I've shared in the last couple of editions - check out the new episode: Microsoft Fabric and The Pace of Innovation - The Decision Maker's Guide - Part 3. If you've been enjoying these videos, we'll have more episodes in the "Decision Maker's Guide" series in the future, so stay tuned. And I wanted to say thank you to Matthew Roche who's flattered us with a shout-out in his blog My Favorite YouTube channel for Microsoft Fabric - his blog has been a hub for strategy-focused data content over the last few years, so very pleased to receive kind words from him. Do take a look at his past posts - you'll see what I mean!
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) covers Exploring Power BI Import Mode Throughput With Log Analytics, Part 2: High-Level Statistics
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Enterprise Dna Experts (@EnterpriseDNA) cover Power Query IF Statements: Nested Ifs, if or, if and Tutorial
- On myOnlineTraininghub, Mynda Treacy (@OnlineTrainingH) explains how to Get Started with Power Query
- Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) covers [PowerQuery] Transformar columnas con condición personalizada [Spanish]
- Avi Singh (@powerbipro) discusses Copilot AI in Power BI: How to Enable & Use + Impact on Power BI Professionals
- On the Power BI community blog, Sam Kumar (@inogic) explains How to create a Power BI report using Business Central Data?
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) covers Filtering calculation items in a slicer
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) talks about Configuring Fields with Perspectives for Shared Datasets in Power BI
- On the SQL Server Central blog, Aseel Al-Laham writes about DAX RANKX Function Behaviors Lead to Incorrect Results and Corrections
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) explains how to Data Comparisons in Power BI Reimagined
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science describes how to Sort a text column as per your choice in Power BI
- On the Power BI community blog, Pragati Jain (@pragati1187) blogs about Power BI – The New Card Visual Part 1
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes How to view the Format pane in Power BI when using the new On-Object Interaction
- On the Select Distinct blog, Simon Harrison (@SelectDistLtd) discusses Custom Formats in Power BI
- Also on the Power BI community blog, Pragati Jain (@pragati1187) covers Icons & Data Labels on Top of the Bars with Conditional Formatting
- On the phData blog, Tausif Kazi (@phdatainc) shares Store Analysis Power BI Dashboard Example
- Andrzej Leszkiewicz (@avatorl) presents Pie Chart?
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Kay Unkroth (@MSPowerBI) shares Announcing the Public Preview of automatic replica synchronization for Dataset Scale-Out
- On the Power BI blog, Nikki Waghani (@NikkiWaghani) announces On-premises data gateway July 2023 release
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) blogs about The clash between Power BI git integration and deployment pipelines
- On the Power BI community blog, Avishay Firstater walks through Securely Passing a Long String to a Paginated Report
- Angela Henry (@SQLSwimmer) describes Steps to Have a Service Principal Take Over a Dataset in Power BI When Using Data Gateways
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs