Power BI Weekly Issue 199: 21st March 2023
It's that time again - the March 2023 Feature Summary is here. It's largely a collation of public preview/GA announcements that have occurred over the last few weeks, but there are a couple of features worth calling out. The first is the update to the Apply all slicers button, Clear all slicers button, and Optimization presets features, which (amongst other things) has added an "Apply all slicers" action that you can assign to a button. Find more information in this article: Deep dive into the new Apply all slicers and Clear all slicers buttons. One slightly more inconspicuous feature that's landed (and one for you designers out there) is the Visual container improvements, including the ability to add "Subtitles", "Divider" lines, and (wait for it...) "Padding"! I know a couple of my colleagues will be very happy about this. Other announcements this week include the fact that the Analysis Services server properties in Power BI Premium are now in general availability, and that DAX Studio 3.0.6 has been released.
Elsewhere, a storm was cooked up at the SQLBits conference last week, after a new Tabular Model Definition Language (TMDL) has been announced; a new, human readable language for defining and version controlling data models. A massive "well done" and congratulations particularly to Mathias Thierbach (author of pbi-tools), who has spearheaded this change alongside Gabi Münster, Rui Romano and Christian Wade amongst others from Microsoft. There's no public documentation about it yet, but it's hoped that will be released very soon. And if you want to learn more about it before that documentation lands, Mathias has shared a list of upcoming events where he'll be talking about all of this. Be sure to tune into one of those!
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Rick de Groot (@Rickmaurinus) describes how to Unpivot Columns And Keep Null Values in Power Query
- On the Select Distinct blog, Select Distinct (@SelectDistLtd) writes about How to use Power Query
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the Power BI blog, Ogbemi Ekwejunor-Etchie (@MSPowerBI) announces Analysis Services server properties in Power BI Premium are now in general availability
- Darren Gosbell (@darrengosbell) announces DAX Studio 3.0.6 released
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) covers DirectQuery Parallelisation In Power BI – Some Examples
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) talks about Writing DAX with ChatGPT-4 – Unplugged #50 and describes Understanding Group By Columns in Power BI
- On the MSSQLTips site, Koen Verbeeck (@Ko_Ver) describes Using a Star Schema for Power BI Reporting
- Denis Selimovic (@DenSelimovic) shares The ultimate guide to date table relationships – understand relationships with a date column, an integer column and “mark as date table” in Power BI correctly
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Salvatore Cagliari (@TDataScience) covers On using intermediary results in DAX Measures
- On the Select Distinct blog, Select Distinct (@SelectDistLtd) describes Power BI RELATED Function
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) covers Create insightful calculations using CONCATENATEX
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) walks through Evaluating New Customer Sales - Advanced Analytics in Power BI [2023 Update] and explains How To Track Sales Trends Through Time In Power BI Using DAX [2023 Update]
- Ted Pattison (@TedPattison) presents Dev Camp Session 31 - Developing External Tools for Power BI Desktop
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Power BI blog, Zoe Douglas (@MSPowerBI) provides a Deep dive into the new Apply all slicers and Clear all slicers buttons
- David Abu (@DavidAbu_) talks about On object Interaction in Power BI
- On the PowerPivotPro blog, Kristi Cantor (@cajuncody) walks through Exciting Improvements to Power BI’s Export to Excel
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) describes how to Create a totals option for fields parameters and describes how to Sort axis order in Power BI
- Gaelim Holland (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Use A Decision Tree To Predict Classes In Power BI Using Python
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- Soheil Bakhshi (@biinsightnz) writes about Good Practice: Use Security Groups in Role Mapping Instead of User Accounts in Power BI Row Level Security (RLS)
- Adam Saxon and Kevin Arnold (@GuyInACube) discuss How do thin reports work with Power BI Deployment Pipelines?
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) writes about Incremental Backup of PBIX Files
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) talks about Power BI Pin/Unpin Power BI Workspace
- Greg Deckler (@GregDeckler) describes How To Take Over Data Gateways In Power BI
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Ryan Majidimehr (@MSPowerBI) announces Power BI March 2023 Feature Summary
- On the BIFocal podcast, John Patrick White and Jason Himmelstein (@BIFocalShow) present Episode 250 - Power BI March 2023 Feature Summary
- Miguel Félix covers Atualização Power BI Março 2023 [Portuguese]
- Laura Graham-Brown (@Laura_GB) writes about Power BI Business Adoption
- Adam Saxon and Gaston Cruz (@GuyInACube) talk about Art of the Possible with Power Platform and Azure Synapse
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.