Power BI Weekly Issue 195: 21st February 2023
Plenty of announcements this week. We've been given the Power BI February 2023 Feature Summary. Improvements this month include the Enhanced row-level security editor, whereby you can now quickly and easily define row-level security roles and filters without having to write any DAX. There's the release of two New statistical DAX functions: LINEST and LINESTX, the addition of New accessible report themes, and it is also now possible to Set conditional formatting rules based on string fields.
Elsewhere this week, the Power BI team have announced the Availability Expansion of the SSRS Migration Tool to Power BI. There's the release of the Quick Create SDK, a new form of Power BI embedded analytics that enables you to embed an interactive data exploration and report creation experience in your applications. Finally, we've been told that the Export to Excel Improvements for Matrix Visuals feature is now generally available.
Ed is currently on holiday; this issue was curated by Jessica Hill.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Melissa de Korte Enterprise Dna Expert shares Power BI Replace Text Tutorial: Conditional Full & Partial Replacement
- Antriksh Sharma (@AntrikshShar) shares 445, 454, or 544 Week table in Power BI and Excel
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) covers So filterst Du richtig in Power Query [German]
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science describes How ChatGPT helps to write M Code in a PowerQuery | AI assistance for Power Query M code in Power BI
- Ben Gribaudo (@bgribaudo) covers Value.ReplaceType & Table Column Renames (Bug Warning)
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) talks about New Relationship Pane Walkthrough for Power BI Desktop and discusses Relationship Editor Pane (Model View) in Power BI Desktop
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) delves into Understanding blank row and limited relationships
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Salvatore Cagliari (@TDataScience) explains How to use FILTER in DAX the correct way
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Use The GROUPBY Function In Power BI and explains how to Detect Abnormal Patterns In Behaviour Using DAX In Power BI [2023 Update]
- Brian Julius (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Easily Create And Organize Multiple Measures At Once In Power BI
- Darren Gosbell (@darrengosbell) writes about Automatically generating measure descriptions for Power BI and Analysis Services with ChatGPT and Tabular Editor
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Power BI blog, Ikechukwu Edeagu (@MSPowerBI) announces Export to Excel Improvements for Matrix Visuals (GA)
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Brian Julius (@_EnterpriseDNA) walks through Adding A Power BI SVG Visual On Your Report and discusses Using R In Power BI: Creating Complex Visuals
- On the MSSQLTips site, Harris Amjad (@mssqltips) explains How to create a Sankey Chart in Power BI Desktop
- Glen Leck (@BI_ographic) discusses Mind the Gap
- Gaelim Holland (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Bring In Summary Statistics and Correlation Tables In Power BI Using Python
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Harleen Kaur (@MSPowerBI) announces Empower your application users to quickly explore their data with the new Power BI Embedding capabilities
- Amanda Rivera and Ted Pattison (@MSPowerBI) present Power BI Dev Camp Session 29 - Developing with the Power BI Quick Create SDK
- Also on the Power BI blog, Cookie McCray (@MSPowerBI) announces Availability Expansion of the SSRS Migration Tool to Power BI
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) covers Publish/Migrate your RDL files from Power BI Report Server to the service
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) discusses Power BI Migration Tools: What They Can And Can’t Do
- Rui Romano (@RuiRomano) presents Power BI Dev Camp Session 28 - How To Monitor Your On-prem Power BI Gateways
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) blogs about Power BI App: Changing The Paradigm In Data Management & Transformation
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) discusses Dataset permissions required for App report in Power BI? What am I missing?
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) discusses Demystifying Power BI Dataset Scale-out
- On the Microsoft BI Tools blog, Joost van Rossum (@ssisjoost) describes Streaming data Azure & Power BI - Stream Analytics
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Ryan Majidimehr (@MSPowerBI) announces Power BI February 2023 Feature Summary
- Miguel Félix covers Atualização Power BI Fevereiro 2023 [Portuguese]
- Microsoft Power BI (@MSPowerBI) announces Power BI Update - February 2023
- On Acuity Training, Ben Richardson (@AcuityTraining) shares Power BI Tips & Tricks: 15 Experts Give Their Top 3 Tips
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.