Power BI Weekly Issue 182: 8th November 2022
Only a single announcement this week, which is that you can now Save a copy of a report & Collapse navigation pane in Organizational App. The former being a feature that's been brought back by popular demand! Otherwise this week, Microsoft has shown how you can Unleash your Dynamics 365 Data with Azure Synapse Analytics and Power BI (using the Synapse Link capability to replicate your data into a Synapse Analytics environment), the SQLBI team has released the 1.0 version for their Bravo for Power BI tool, and James Andrew has shown a nice way to Use Canva to Create an Interactive Power BI Virtual Assistant.
Finally this week, Eli has shared her Big Data LDN: highlights and how to survive your first data conference, talking a lot about Data Mesh and other key elements of the modern data stack.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) discusses The perfect Power BI dataflows use case
- Antriksh Sharma (@AntrikshShar) explains How to make Power Query remember the data types of columns before expanding
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) explains how to Remove Spaces between words in Power Query
- On the Power BI community blog, Yalan Wu blogs about Power Query Common Expression. Error
- Ben Gribaudo (@bgribaudo) covers MySQL's Invalid Dates + Power Query = No Effect Query Folding?
- On the Tessellation Tech blog, Dave Ovitt describes What Are Power BI Datamarts?
- Laura Graham-Brown (@Laura_GB) delves into Power BI – Switch Dataverse Tenancy
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Gaelim Holland (@_EnterpriseDNA) writes about Python Dataset: Applying Repeatable Codes
- João Marcelino covers Calendário no Power BI [Portuguese]
- On the SQL Server Central blog, Daniel Calbimonte (@dcalbimonte) describes MDX in Power BI tutorial
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) announces Bravo for Power BI 1.0 released
- Also on the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) covers SELECTEDMEASURENAME – DAX Guide
- Max Wikström (@maxwiks) covers The purpose of data modeling – Dimensional Modeling and explains how to Find the MIN and MAX value from multiple columns with DAX
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Enterprise Dna Experts (@EnterpriseDNA) write about Using DAX To Load Data From SSAS To Power BI
- Brian Julius (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Export All DAX Measures Into A Single File
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) describes Smart Axis Magic | Let Power BI Choose the Optimal Period
- Also on the Power BI community blog, Stephen Tao describes how to Apply AND logic in the slicer
- On Acuity Training, Ben Richardson (@AcuityTraining) describes Speeding Up Power BI
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) walks through In-Depth Customer Churning Examples In Power BI Using DAX [2022 Update]
- Bernat Agulló (@AgulloBernat) describes How to write a C# script for Tabular Editor (Part 1)
- Alina Fisher describes how to Sort Matrix By Selected Columns With RANKX
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Power BI community blog, Fowmy Abdulmuttalib (@ExcelFort) describes how to Toggle Calendar Icon Visibility In Power BI Date Slicer
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) describes How To Use Natural Language Query (Q&A) In Power BI - Detailed Review [2022 Update]
- On the Foresight BI blog, Ahmed Oyelowo (@AhmedOyelowo) covers Power BI Bookmarks Essentials (Part 1)
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) talks about Notification Bell
- James Andrew (@MatadorSoftware) describes how to Use Canva to Create an Interactive Power BI Virtual Assistant
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes how to Copy and paste Power BI Visuals in pages between Power BI Desktop Files
- Leila Gharani (@LeilaGharani) describes How to create these useful Power BI visuals we wish Excel had
- Pat Mahoney (@mahoneypa) describes how to Speed up your Power BI visuals with Deneb in-visual calculations
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) wallks through Creating a Countdown Visual using Deneb (with Daniel Marsh-Patrick) and describes Best Practices for Report Design & DAX in Power BI (with Gustaw Dudek)
- Alina Fisher writes about Range Bars In Power BI 2.0
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Harleen Kaur describes how to Save a copy of a report & Collapse navigation pane in Organizational App
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) describes how to Speed Up Power BI Dataset Refresh Performance In Premium Or PPU By Changing The “Parallel Loading Of Tables” Setting
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) describes how to Bring Power BI and Excel together
- Shabnam Watson (@ShbWatson) talks about Incremental Refresh and Hybrid Tables in Power BI, writes about Error running a SQL Server Profiler trace for a Power BI dataset: Either the trace with the ID of ‘MicrosoftProfilerTrace1667261566’ does not exist … and describes How does the DirectQuery partition of a Hybrid table in Power BI get used in queries?
- Microsoft Power BI (@MSPowerBI) walk through Cross tenant dataset sharing
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) discusses Why Do You Need Power BI Service?
- On the MSSQLTips site, Haroon Ashraf writes about Data Masking and Unmasking Strategy for Power BI Report Testers and Business Users
- Alina Fisher shares The Ultimate Security Cheat Sheet In Power BI
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- Cillian Mitchell (@MSPowerBI) explains how to Unleash your Dynamics 365 Data with Azure Synapse Analytics and Power BI
- On the BIFocal podcast, John Patrick White and Jason Himmelstein (@BIFocalShow) present Episode 239 - Power BI News Update
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, Tommy Puglia (@tommypuglia) announces Welcome to Community Jam
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email email@example.com.