Power BI Weekly Issue 181: 1st November 2022
A few updates this week - the first of which I'd like to highlight being the Improvements to chart sharing and copy as image which are coming soon. One pretty cool feature described in that article is the functionality to deep-link into a specific selection you've made on a specific chart, which is pretty cool. We've also been told about the Power BI Ideas site improvement updates including a better search experience, and the ability to log-in using MSA accounts instead of just organizational accounts. Finally, we've been told that the October release of the On-premises data gateway is now available.
Elsewhere this week, James Broome has shared his presentation from the Data Platform Virtual Summit titled Do Those Numbers Look Right?, in which he discusses a few techniques for writing automated tests against your Power BI/AAS/Data solutions, Shabnam Watson has taken an in-depth look at automatic partition maintenance by Power BI Service for datasets with Incremental Refresh, and Daniil Maslyuk has written about the New DAX functions: TOCSV and TOJSON, the use-cases for which will apparently become more obvious when the EVALUATEANDLOG function officially ships.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Melissa de Korte (@_EnterpriseDNA) writes about What Is Power Query & M Language: A Detailed Overview
- Rick de Groot (@Rickmaurinus) talks about Fast Running Totals in Power Query (Complete Guide)
- Ben Gribaudo (@bgribaudo) describes Highlights from the New Power Query SDK
- Maxim Zelensky (@Hohlick) describes Power Query Record as Dictionary: Part 1
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) covers Exceldateien aus Ordner importieren-Nur bestimmte Bltter je Datei mit Power Query [German]
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) describes OneDrive + Power BI? Do it Right
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- Daniil Maslyuk (@DMaslyuk) writes about New DAX functions: TOCSV and TOJSON
- James Andrew (@MatadorSoftware) talks about The DAX OFFSET Function in Power BI | Comparisons with SQL LAG & LEAD Window Functions
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) talks about Using ALLSELECTED - DAX Formula Concepts In Power BI [2022 Update]
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) describes Diagnosing Calculation Group-Related Performance Problems In Power BI Using EvaluateAndLog
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Salvatore Cagliari (@TDataScience) writes about On distributing values with a factor with DAX
- Avi Singh (@powerbipro) describes Calendar Table Using DAX
- Also on the Enterprise DNA blog, Gustaw Dudek (@EnterpriseDNA_) describes DAX Power BI Tutorial On Report Transparency
- On the Power BI community blog, Rico Zhou describes How to do Dynamic Group Counting in Power BI
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) describes Simple and Powerful Context Transition Examples in Power BI
- Daniel Duque covers Looking for a great introduction to DAX?
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) talks about Why Power BI totals might seem inaccurate
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) discusses Is the new Quick measures feature any good? Let's find out
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) discusses Introducing the Measure Killer (External Tool) for Power BI with Gregor Brunner and Klaus Folz
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) talks about Tabular Editor for Beginners
- Artur König and Mathias Küpper present BI Thinkers Talk XXII: lineare Budgetverteilung in Power BI [German]
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) explains how to Make Q&A more effective in Power BI
- Mara Pereira (@datapears) walks through Updating your bookmarks in Power BI... A pain about to be solved
- Ye Tao covers Hierarchical axis by default
- Audrée Pellerin covers Facilitez vos analyses avec les barres d’erreur dans Power BI [French]
- Greg Philps (@_EnterpriseDNA) talks about Deneb Cheat Sheet For Power BI - Free Download
- Sue Bayes (@sue_bayes) covers Report Builder Tutorial: How To Add A Table
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Jeroen ter Heerdt (@jeroenterheerdt) announces Power BI Ideas site improvement updates
- Lukasz Pawlowski (@lukasztweets) announces Improvements to chart sharing and copy as image are coming soon
- Also on the Power BI blog, Nikki Waghani (@NikkiWaghani) writes about On-premises data gateway October release
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) discusses Does it matter where your Power BI reports are deployed?
- Antriksh Sharma (@AntrikshShar) explains how to Get all Reports from Power BI Service using Rest API and PowerShell
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) covers Testing RLS with Power BI Shared Datasets
- Shabnam Watson (@ShbWatson) provides A look at automatic partition maintenance by Power BI Service for datasets with Incremental Refresh
- On the Tessellation Tech blog, Ahmed Ansari explains How to Get Activity Data From Power BI Service with REST APIs
- Ignacio Barrau (@ignacho_07) covers [SimplePBI][Python] Publicar masivamente pbix locales [Spanish]
- James Broome (@jamesbroome_) covers Do Those Numbers Look Right?
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science explains How to Export Power BI report to Power Point Presentation
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- The Knee-Deep in Tech team (@KneeDeepinTech) present Podcast episode 209
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) shares Power BI Development Best Practices
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) covers Supercharge Power BI with Azure Synapse Analytics (with Mathias Halkjær)
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email email@example.com.