Power BI Weekly Issue 175: 20th September 2022
Plenty of announcements. Let's start with the Power BI September 2022 Feature Summary, where we've been told that the Hierarchical style axis is now the default display for multiple fields being used for the x axis, the automatic display names for summarized fields have been adapted to contain the summarization type, and it is now officially supported to consume datasets you have access to in external tenants within your own tenant (big news for partners/vendors/suppliers/any org that consumes Power BI content from multiple tenants!)
Elsewhere this week, we've been told about the new built-in capability within the query engine called “Horizontal Fusion,” a query performance optimization in Power BI and Analysis Services - long story short, queries will run faster (particularly in DirectQuery mode), and you don't have to do anything! Note that it's currently only in Premium, but it'll be arriving in Pro within a few months. We've also been told that the USERCULTURE DAX function now supported in Power BI Premium, there is now Power BI report and dataset management in Power Apps Solutions, and the On-premises data gateway August 2022 update is now available.
A few bits of content from our side this week: James Broome has published the second in his series on planning and delivering modern data analytics solutions, emphasizing the importance of focusing on the outputs, rather than the inputs, in the article successful data projects start by forgetting about the data, Barry Smart has recorded his session from Data Scotland 2022: Fake it 'til you make it - generating production quality test data at scale using Azure Synapse, and Jess Hill has written an article outlining the various Performance Optimisation Tools for Power BI.
I also wanted to highlight a couple of other blogs this week - one from Max Wikström talking about Power BI data types in relationships – Does it matter? (a bit of a grey area within Power BI data modeling), and Chris Webb has published another part in the Power BI + Power Automate series: Calling The Power BI Enhanced Refresh API From Power Automate, Part 6: Cancelling Dataset Refreshes (I was mistaken in last week's editorial when I said it was the last!)
Finally, I'll be attending Big Data LDN on Wednesday and Thursday, so please do reach out if you're attending and would like to catch-up!
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Ben Gribaudo (@bgribaudo) writes about No Built-In Power Query Connector: Am I Stuck?
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) discusses Power BI Datamarts, should I use it or not?
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) talks about Why We Love Dataflows In Power BI And Why You Should Too
- Melissa de Korte (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Automatically Remove All Empty Columns In Power Query
- Audrée Pellerin covers Supprimer les doublons avec Power Query [French]
- James Andrew (@MatadorSoftware) talks about Powerful Power Query Text Functions | A Real World Case Study Using M
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) describes Batch Renaming Columns in Power BI Tables
- Gaelim Holland (@_EnterpriseDNA) describes How To Do Text Analysis Using Python To Identify Parts Of Speech In Texts In Power BI
- On the Excel Basement YouTube channel, Rahim Zulfiqar Ali (@rahimzulfiqar) shares a series of tutorials: PQ 1 - What is Power Query - 1 - Power Query - ETL, PQ 2 - Data Types - 1 - Power Query - ETL, PQ 3 - Fixing Dates & Date Locale Setting - 1 - Power Query - ETL, PQ 4 - For Columns - MOVE, REMOVE, RENAME, DUPLICATES - 1 - Power Query - ETL, PQ 5 - Split Columns - 1 - Power Query - ETL, PQ 6 - Merge - 1 - Power Query - ETL, PQ 7 - Filtering Rows - 1 - Power Query - ETL and PQ 8 - Removing Duplicates and Errors - 1 - Power Query - ETL
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sue Bayes (@sue_bayes) explains How To Import Datasets Into Report Builder
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the Power BI blog, Kay Unkroth (@MSPowerBI) announces “Horizontal Fusion,” a query performance optimization in Power BI and Analysis Services
- Also on the Power BI blog, Ogbemi Ekwejunor-Etchie announces USERCULTURE DAX function now supported in Power BI Premium
- On the endjin blog, Jessica Hill (@JessRoseHill_) writes about Performance Optimisation Tools for Power BI
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) covers Diagnosing Switch-Related Performance Problems In Power BI DAX Using EvaluateAndLog
- Patrick Leblanc and Marco Russo (@GuyInACube) discuss What's the real size of your data model in Power BI?
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) describes PATH, PATHCONTAINS, PATHITEM, PATHITEMREVERSE, PATHLENGTH – DAX Guide and covers Introducing ALLSELECTED in DAX
- Bernat Agulló (@AgulloBernat) writes about Activating Inactive Relationships the Smart Way
- Max Wikström (@maxwiks) blogs about Power BI data types in relationships – Does it matter?
- Bernat Agulló Roselló (@AgulloBernat) covers A dynamic legend for a dynamic measure + time intel chart
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Antriksh Sharma (@AntrikshShar) provides an Overview Of The DAX Studio Keyword COLUMN and describes The TABLE Keyword In DAX Studio: Basic Examples
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) describes How To Use The ALL Function In Power BI And DAX [2022 Update] and covers Harvest Power BI Slicer Selections To Use With Other Measures — Advanced DAX [2022 Update]
- Greg Deckler (@GregDeckler) describes How To Get Better Average Per Category In DAX - Why You Should Not Use CALCULATE
- On the Power BI community blog, Tingting Zhang describes How to calculate the number of days in a discontinuous time period
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) talks about Improving Models & Calculations in Power BI (with Jeroen ter Heerdt) and describes 5 Reasons to Hide Fields from Report View in Power BI
- Mimoune Djouallah (@mim_djo) blogs about Multi fact support in DAX and Malloy
- Hima Bindu Marri (@sivahimabindu) describes SELECTEDVALUE DAX in Power BI
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) covers Exploring and Visualising Data in Power BI
- Daniel Marsh-Patrick (@the_d_mp) covers Building a dynamic countdown in Power BI with Deneb & Vega
- On the Power BI community blog, Steve de Peijper (@bi2analytics) writes about Interactive Plotly Waterfall Chart in Power BI
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) explains how to Create Awesome Bar Charts in Power BI
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science describes How to use Error Bars in Power BI
- On the SQL Server Central blog, Daniel Calbimonte (@dcalbimonte) describes How to visualize Python charts in Power BI part 3
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Nikki Waghani (@NikkiWaghani) announces that the On-premises data gateway August 2022 update is now available
- Also on the Power BI blog, Teddy Bercovitz (@Teddybbb) announces Power BI report and dataset management in Power Apps Solutions
- Teddy Bercovitz and Srihari Srinivasa (@MSPowerBI) announce Manage and Embed Power BI Reports and Datasets as Part of a Power Platform Solution
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) highlights Power BI Apps for multiple audiences has arrived
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) describes Power BI App audiences with AAD Security Groups
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) walks through Calling The Power BI Enhanced Refresh API From Power Automate, Part 6: Cancelling Dataset Refreshes
- Dan English (@denglishbi) writes about Power BI using Service Principal with Synapse SQL Pool
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs