Power BI Weekly Issue 170: 16th August 2022
Another month, another Power BI Feature Summary. Improvements this month include much needed DAX editor fixes (solving some of the intellisense issues many of you will have encountered over the last year), there's now Conditional formatting for data labels for further chart customization, and there have been new settings to influence the Power BI engine query execution (you can see the commit diff for the underlying documentation in GitHub here: Evaluation configuration settings).
Elsewhere this week, we've also been told about a series of improvements to the Datamart Query editor and the now available PostgreSQL connector for the virtual network data gateway. Finally, there is a new (paid) Microsoft Power Platform Conference, sponsored by Microsoft and taking place in-person in Orlando from 18-23 September 2022. Looks like a great line-up with a wide variety of Power BI content on offer - do check it out.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On the Power BI blog, Dharini Sundaram (@heydharini) announces improvements to Datamart Query editor
- On the RADACAD blog, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) discusses Power BI Datamart Vs. Dataflow Vs. Dataset
- Erik Svensen (@donsvensen) blogs about Power Query – Convert a referenced query column to a table without Table.FromList() – Magic trick
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) presents You thought DAX? Alex shows you Dynamic M-M-Magic!
- Melissa de Korte (@_EnterpriseDNA) describes How To Strip Off Seconds From A DateTime Value In Power Query
- On the MSSQLTips site, Levi Masonde describes how to Load API Data to SQL Server Using Python and Generate Report with Power BI
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) discusses Geocoding API in Power BI
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the SQLBI blog, Marco Russo (@marcorus) talks about Context Transition – The Whiteboard 03 and writes about the Different filter behaviors in SUMMARIZECOLUMNS and CALCULATETABLE
- Also on the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) talks about DEFINE MEASURE – DAX Guide
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) writes about Power BI Desktop August 2022 Features I Love
- Avi Singh (@powerbipro) describes How to Always Show Current Week vs. Prior Week Automatically
- Harsh Joshi (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Calculate Ranking In A Tabular Form In Power BI
- Teo Lachev (@tlachev) writes Not Your Kimball’s DW
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Mudassir Ali (@EnterpriseDNA_) explains how to Make Power BI Report Templates With PowerPoint
- Brian Julius (@_EnterpriseDNA) explains How To Extract Themes And Background Images From PBIX Files
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) discusses Introduction to the PlotlyJS Custom visual with Kerry Kolosko and covers Reviewing the Field Parameters Contest Winners with Kane Snyder
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) explains How to design stunning Power BI reports: From initial sketches to final result
- On the Perficient blog, Ankit Jangle writes about 10 Steps to Integrate Power Apps on Power BI Dashboard
- On the SQL Server Central blog, Daniel Calbimonte (@dcalbimonte) explains How to Visualize Python Charts in Power BI
- Hima Bindu Marri (@sivahimabindu) talks about Modern visual tool tips in Power BI
- Purna (Chandoo) Duggirala (@r1c1) describes How to create report page tooltips in Power BI (step by step)
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science talks about Conditional Formatting for Data Labels in Power BI
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) explains how to Apply Conditional Formatting on Power BI Data Labels
- Olivier Travers (@otravers) writes about Data-Driven Heaven in Power BI Using Field Parameters, Bookmarks, CSS, and Expression-Based Formatting
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) talks about Flexible Perioden in Power BI vergleichen [German]
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Nikki Waghani (@NikkiWaghani) announces the PostgreSQL connector for the virtual network data gateway
- On the Tessellation Tech blog, Spencer Baucke (@JSBaucke) describes How to Choose the Right Virtual Machines for Your Power BI Gateways
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) blogs about Calling The Power BI Enhanced Refresh API From Power Automate, Part2: Refreshing Specific Tables And Partitions
- Mara Pereira (@datapears) writes about Power BI B2B - Sharing your content outside of your organisation
- Gilbert Quevauvilliers (@GilbertQue) covers the Power BI Error – Culture Name en-XX is not valid or is not supported
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Oksana Kyrychenko (@MSPowerBI) shares the Power BI August 2022 Feature Summary
- Also on the Power BI blog, Kelly Kaye (@MS_KellyKaye) shares Join us! 18-23 September 2022. The FIRST ever Microsoft Power Platform Conference!
- James Serra (@JamesSerra) highlights some Power BI guidance documentation
- Lars Schreiber (@SchreiberLars) shares a Chat with Nikola Ilic
Take a look at historical Power BI articles in our archive of Power BI Weekly newsletters.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Power BI Weekly newsletter, please email email@example.com.