Power BI Weekly Issue 137: 21st December 2021
Some amazing updates have landed this week, and not just from the new Power BI Desktop release. A feature I've highlighted a couple of times in the past is now out in public preview, and that's Hybrid Tables in Power BI Premium, enabling the possibility to have both Import and DirectQuery partitions within the same table. Not only does this provide you the capability to retrieve the latest data without having to refresh the model, but this also enables you to keep recent data in "hot" mode (i.e. import), and have historical data (e.g. > 12 months old) accessible via DirectQuery in a sort of "cold" mode. This is particularly useful for larger models. In fact, Teo Lachev has described this latter scenario in the blog: Power BI Hybrid Tables. Do check it out.
We've also been notified that Asynchronous refresh now available in Power BI for public preview (yay) and on-demand loading capabilities for large models is now available (yay again, but probably impacts fewer of you). There have also been some Power BI Data Protection December announcements, including the GA of both default and mandatory label policies.
Last, but by no means least, is the Power BI December 2021 Feature Summary, which includes a highly sought-after feature in Sparklines, fixes to some of the issues identified for the new format pane, and the GA of the Paginated Report Visual.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) describes Simulating Slow Data Sources In Power BI
- Avi Singh (@powerbipro) explains How to Clean 🧹 Messy Data using Power BI Query Editor? Example: Clean Names with Comma, Dash, Space
- On the Power BI Community blog, Akshiita Srivastava writes about The Unpivot Paradox - What works and what does not? How a string can make your life difficult?
- On the MSSQLTips site, Eduardo Pivaral (@EduardoDBA) blogs about Using AI Insights in Power BI
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the Power BI blog, Kay Unkroth announces the Public Preview of Hybrid Tables in Power BI Premium
- On the Prologika blog, Teo Lachev (@tlachev) blogs about Power BI Hybrid Tables
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) answers questions: another option for many to many relationships in Power BI – Unplugged #39, describes USERELATIONSHIP – DAX Guide and covers CROSSFILTER – DAX Guide
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, the Explicit Measures podcast team (@PowerBITips) presents Discussing SQLBI's 7 Reasons DAX is Not Easy
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) blogs about Power BI DAX Measures For Events In Progress
- On the Power BI community blog, Torsten Wanka describes creating a Single Date Picker without DAX
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) talks about Improved Dynamic [DAX] Analytics Lines in Power BI and writes about Tabular Editor 3: DAX Debugger & Feature Updates (with Daniel Otykier)
- Also on the Towards Data Science blog, Salvatore Cagliari describes How to make Power BI development for Teams easier
- Antriksh Sharma (@AntrikshShar) discusses Storing a column as String or Integer in Analysis Services
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Peter Hui discusses Power BI—Working with Time Intelligence
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) writes about a Power BI Progress Tracker For Sales And Order Data
- Matt Allington (@ExceleratorBI) writes about Two number formats, one column – what!
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science talks about the Sparkline in Power BI - New Features
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) talks about Sparklines in Power BI
- Daniel Marsh-Patrick (@the_d_mp) blogs about Deneb Alpha Channel Build Availability and shares the Deneb 1.1 Initial Beta & New Documentation Site
- On the CSG Pro blog, Michael Thomas talks about Data Visualization through the Predictive Modeling Lifecycle with Power BI & R
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) describes how to Sort Legend in Power BI and talks about Pie Chart Rotation in Power BI
- Leila Gharani (@LeilaGharani) describes How to Use Power BI | Create Your First Dashboard Now (Practice Files included)
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Ogbemi Ekwejunor-Etchie writes that Asynchronous refresh now available in Power BI for public preview and announces on-demand loading capabilities for large models in Power BI
- Also on the Power BI blog, Anton Fritz (@AntonFritz15) shares some Power BI Data Protection December announcements
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) talks about Troubleshooting Power BI Timeouts, Part 3: The External Command Timeout
- Ted Pattison (@TedPattison) presents Power BI Dev Camp Session 17 - Building Solutions using Power Automate and the Power BI REST API
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) writes about Unable to open or download Power BI report, because link to Azure Analysis Services is gone. What now?
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) explains how to Avoid Parameter Error when refreshing a Power BI partition
- Matthew Roche (@SQLAllFather) writes about Tabular Editor and "Desktop Hardening"
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Jeroen ter Heerdt (@jeroenterheerdt) shares the Power BI December 2021 Feature Summary
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) share Episode 214 - Power BI News from Las Vegas
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) talks about Dataverse + Power BI: What you didn't even know you needed! with Scott Sewell
- Adam Saxton and Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) present Closing out 2021 – LIVE w/ Matthew Roche (Dec 18, 2021)
- On the Power BI blog, Deepa Rajagopal explains how to Explore free virtual workshops to help you get started with Power BI