Power BI Weekly Issue 128: 5th October 2021
A couple of updates this week: we've been given the Power BI Report Server September 2021 Feature Summary (which is catching up with features such as the Small Multiples visual and the new model view), and we've been told about the new Security Group Support for Log Analytics Integration (Preview) which is now configurable in the tenant settings.
Elsewhere this week, Mara Pereira has put together a useful, interactive Power BI Adoption Roadmap Assessment based on the official Power BI Roadmap docs, Marat Abdullaev has provided a concise diagram of what to consider when Building a Power BI report - From A to Z (diagram), and Miguel Escobar has described the method to convert Stacked columns to Table using Power Query.
Covering: Power Query (M), Dataflows, Data connectors, AI Insights
- On the Powered Solutions blog, Miguel Escobar (@EscobarMiguel90) explains how to convert Stacked columns to Table
- On the Enterprise DNA blog, Melissa de Korte (@_EnterpriseDNA) shares: Power Query Tools, Tabs, And User Interface, Power Query Features: An Overview, Function Query And Operators In The Query Editor and describes how to Append A Vast Number Of Excel Sheets In Power BI
- Adam Saxton (@GuyInACube) talks about Power Query! Uggg – Where do you start? | Power BI
- On the Burningsuit blog, Alan Harman-Box writes I have the Power(query): Functions
- On the Purple Frog Systems blog, Nick Edwards blogs about Replicating SQL windowing functions in Power Query.
- Ruth Pozuelo Martinez (@CurbalEN) explains how to Get only the rows you need in Power Query from your files.
- Reid Havens (@HavensBI) talks about Creating a Dynamic Calendar Date Range in Power Query
- Pat Mahoney (@mahoneypa) explains how to Let's Get It Sorted (in here) - PartOne
- On the RADACAD YouTube channel, Reza Rad (@Rad_Reza) shares a few videos: Add Leading Zeros to a Number in Power BI Using Power Query, Generate Year Month Day Combinations in Power BI Report using Power Query Date ToText Function and Power BI Modeling Change the Status Log Table to a From To Table
- Rick de Groot (@Rickmaurinus) explains how to Replace Values in Multiple Columns Based on Condition
- On the Power BI Community blog, Eyelyn Qin discusses Merging rows of each category into one row by removing all blank contents
Covering: DAX (Measures & Calculated Tables/Columns), Relationships, Analysis Services, Composite models
- On the SQLBI blog, Alberto Ferrari (@FerrariAlberto) writes about Checking Boolean conditions while creating a like for like comparison in DAX, shares: String – DAX Guide, Integer – DAX Guide and DateTime – DAX Guide
- On the Business Intelligist blog, Business Intelligist (@bizintelligist) talks about What to Do When Calculation Groups Break Your Measures (Power BI Tutorial)
- On the Power BI community blog, Seth Bauer (@Seth_C_Bauer) introduces “Explicit Measures” a Power BI Podcast
- Mimoune Djouallah (@mim_djo) writes that “Modern” BI tools are missing something like Power BI Composable SQL Generator
- On the Towards Data Science blog, Nikola Ilic (@DataMozart) writes about Why you should not replace blanks with 0 in Power BI
- Chandeep Chhabra (@chandeep2786) describes 3 Ways to Find Duplicate Values in Dimension Tables
- Antriksh Sharma (@AntrikshShar) explains how to Find Top Products or Customers with TOPN & KEEPFILTERS in DAX Power BI, Extract Measures from Power BI into Excel and Text File using DAX Studio and Tabular Editor and How to Create Running Total in DAX in Power BI with FILTER and ALL DAX Tutorial for beginners
- Hima Bindu Marri (@sivahimabindu) lists the TOPN DAX in Power BI Power BI for beginners
- Dhruvin Shah (@DhruvinShah16) talks about SUM Vs SUMX in Power BI - What, When and Where?
- Patrick Leblanc (@GuyInACube) walks through Finding the lowest value and highlighting in DAX Power BI
- Sam McKay (@_EnterpriseDNA) walks through Advanced Analytics Techniques For Power BI
Report Authoring and Interactivity
Covering: Layout and formatting, Visualizations, Interactivity, Themes, Mobile reports, Dashboards
- Chris Webb (@cwebb_bi) blogs about Power BI Report Accessibility: Emulate Vision Deficiencies Using Edge DevTools
- Fowmy Abdulmuttalib (@ExcelFort) discusses Power BI page navigation Panel with Bookmarks & Buttons
- On the Tessellation Tech blog, Gavin Pedersen describes How to Make the Most of Power BI Tooltips
- Bas Dohmen (@HowToPowerBI) shares a few videos: Create a Gantt Chart from a bar chart - no custom visual, Column Width Trick in Power BI and Turning a matrix into a gantt chart
- On the Learning Science YouTube channel, Learning Science describes Button Formatting Options in Power BI Toggle Total Columns in Waterfall Charts
- David Abu talks about the AI Visual in Power BI : Smart Narrative Visual and the AI Visual in Power BI: Q&A Analytics
- Marcus Wegener (@PowerBIler) writes Power BI Report Builder und Umlaute [German]
- Marat Abdullaev (@uzmarat) shares: Building a Power BI report - From A to Z (diagram)
Deployment, Security and Operations
Covering: Workspaces and Apps, Template Apps, Deployment Pipelines, Gateways, Security, Sharing, Licences, Admin operations, Developer Tooling
- On the Power BI blog, Bhavik Merchant (@BhavikMerchant) announces Security Group Support for Log Analytics Integration (Preview)
- Meagan Longoria (@mmarie) explains how to Connect Excel to a Power BI Dataset in a Premium Workspace with a B2B User
- Marc Lelijveld (@MarcLelijveld) describes how to Swap connection from Analysis Services to Power BI dataset
- Marcus Wegener (@PowerBIler) writes Verteilen von Power BI-Inhalten an externe Gastbenutzer (B2B) [German]
- Alex J. Garcia (@AlexG_SmartPBI) walks through Resourcing and Structuring a Power BI Centre of Excellence – Part 4 of PBI CoE Series.
Covering: Cross-topic announcements & feature summaries, Whitepapers, Community events, Learning Resources & Certifications, Podcasts, Sample reports, End-to-end walkthroughs
- On the Power BI blog, Jeroen ter Heerdt (@jeroenterheerdt) shares the Power BI Report Server September 2021 Feature Summary
- On the BIFocal podcast, John White and Jason Himmelstein (@bifocalshow) present Episode 206 - Power BI September 2021 Feature Summary
- Mara Pereira (@datapears) shares a Power BI Adoption Roadmap Assessment
- Soheil Bakhshi (@biinsightnz) writes a Power BI 101, What is Power BI?
- Mimoune Djouallah (@mim_djo) takes a First look at Apache Superset from a Power BI user perspective
- On the Power BI Tips and Tricks blog, James Bartlett provides a Business Ops Update: Bugfix